Can Drive Your Beverage
Sales To The Next Level
How Untappd Can Drive Your Beverage to the Next Level
A little over a decade ago, the idea of “craft beer” was completely absent in the U.S. market. In fact, as recently as 2012, the duopoly of Anheuser-Busch InBev and MillerCoors accounted for over 90% of the entire U.S. beer market. However, between 2008 and 2019, the number of breweries in the United States skyrocketed, the workforce expanding with it. Now, craft beer commands an almost 25% market share of the overall beer market. This craft beer “boom” represented a remarkable shift in the structure of the industry, but more importantly in the way that people were consuming beer. Very suddenly, drinking beer has become less about the alcoholic content and more about the experience itself.
With thousands of new, creative beers in the U.S. market, people are more compelled to explore the new than stick with the old. And this is most true of American millennials, who now spend more on craft beer than on their monthly cell and utility bills.
Millennials appear to be relatively uninterested in larger beer brands like Budweiser and Pabst Blue Ribbon, and are willing to spend extra money for craft beers. The mentioned shift away from alcoholic content can easily be attributed to millennial consumers. More than anyone else, they want new experiences. And the craft beer industry added precisely that experiential aspect to beer, making each one more alluring and desirable to try.
Today, there are literally thousands of different beers in the craft market, each with a unique flavor profile and personality. It’s no wonder people are excited to try absolutely everything. But after trying so many new beers, how do people keep track of what they like and don’t like? That’s where Untappd comes in. This app capitalized on the growing craft beer industry and the clear link between it and millennial tastes. This generation uses technology very heavily, especially when it comes to social media. Untappd bridged that gap perfectly and allowed users to keep track of every beer they’ve tried, and included an appealing social aspect to the process as well.
So what does that have to do with us? Well, think about the nature of self-pour. Its presence in bars, restaurants, and taprooms represents an opportunity for patrons to satisfy their craft beer curiosity with ease and speed, allowing them to have lots of fun in the process. So we thought, why not combine the two ideas? That’s why, in 2018, PourMyBeer partnered with Untappd.
But let’s take a step back for a moment: What exactly is Untappd? Simply put, it’s the largest beer database in existence. Users on the app can search the database to find practically any beer they can think of. They can also create a personal profile, after which they are able to rate individual beers they taste based on how much they like them (on a scale of 1 to 5 stars), and add their personal tasting notes. User ratings are aggregated for each beer into a composite rating, which is publicly visible for every beer in the database. Everything a user does can also be shared with their personal network, which gives Untappd a fun social media-esque experience for friends and family who enjoy sharing their new beer experiences.
In 2018, PourMyBeer integrated with Untappd because our team strongly believed that our self-tap technology and screens, combined with Untappd’s powerful product database, would yield a service model guaranteed to make your beverage sales skyrocket. With the success we’ve seen with dozens of our customers already, we know that PourMyBeer’s Untappd integration is a powerful tool for boosting any establishment’s beverage sales. With this said, even if your bar or restaurant does not include self-pour, Untappd can still be a very powerful tool for increasing your foot traffic, thus boosting your beverage sales.
HOW Untappd helps to boost your marketing efforts:
- Patrons can explore beers, bars/restaurants, and events in the area thanks to Untappd, meaning your venue can get visibility in front of new audiences.
- Patrons can connect with their friends via Untappd, which can boost your marketing reach.
- Your business gets more exposure with the right audience (passionate beer drinkers) as Untappd brings more visibility to your beer list. Because of this, it’s also important to monitor user ratings for beers, as maintaining a collection of highly rated beers on self-tap will attract Untappd users who are looking to try the latest and greatest.
- Once your business is verified, Untappd can become an asset in helping with branding efforts. If used by your marketing team, It can give more exposure to your logo, tagline and other important content about your business.
- The platform presents a great opportunity for deepening relationships with your customers by engaging with their check-ins (see Pro-Tip 1 below).
- The data & analytics offered by the platform can help you make more strategic decisions based on customer preferences.
- Untappd makes updating your menu much more efficient as it allows much easier sharing of your updated menu to both your website and Facebook page with a help of a few clicks.
Anytime an Untappd user tries a new beer, they can “check in” that beer, which allows them to leave their personal rating for that beer and see what the Untappd community has to say.
PourMyBeer Pro-Tip 1: We recommend that you engage with your customers by commenting under their check-ins, or at least “toasting” to their activity (similar to liking/reacting on Facebook), so they feel appreciated by you and are more likely to return.
PourMyBeer Pro-Tip 2: Encourage your patrons to subscribe to your venue. This will send push notifications to their phones every time you update your beer list or add a new event, ensuring that you stay on the top of their minds.
- You can see the stats of the users in the area around your venue (see below). Untappd will show you how many unique users there are in your area, as well as how many check-ins there have been. You can specify this based on a custom radius around your location as well as a custom amount of time (i.e. a 20 mile radius around your restaurant within the last 30 days).
- You can also see which beers are the most popular at your venue. This can help you determine the beers you want to keep buying from suppliers and the ones you may want to phase out. It’s generally a good idea to try to maintain a supply of some highly rated beers on your self-pour taps, as we mentioned above.
- You can also view some finer analytics specific to your establishment, including:
The number of menu views in a given time frame (plus the platforms that are being used to view your menu most frequently).
The frequency of check-ins at your establishment for each day of the week.
A demographic breakdown of your Untappd customers based on their profiles, with respect to age and gender.
How PourMyBeer and Untappd systems work together
At any establishment with self-pour, Untappd significantly enhances the user experience for self-pour patrons. With our integration, information about each beer you serve is displayed directly on its corresponding screen, with statistics like ABV and IBU. On larger screens above your tap wall, you can display a feed of live information, sharing Untappd users’ most recent pours at the wall.
Besides adding a social element to the beer wall and allowing multiple channels to be updated at once from one source (your beer wall, your website menu and your Facebook menu), Untappd allows you to directly add and subtract beers from your list of offerings at your tap wall. You can then link your PourMyBeer screens with that list to display whichever beer is on tap there. You can also custom edit the information on that list, including the following:
- Beer name
- Tasting notes
- And other information about the product
Here is a tutorial on How to update your Untappd Menu with PourMyBeer
If you need to add a product that is not listed in the Untappd database (house-made cocktails, wines etc.), you can add a custom item. Simply get in touch with you Untappd rep or reach out to our support team at (312) 416-9989 and we will be happy to help.
Click here to request a free demo on Untappd and explore what benefits it can bring to your business.